Saturday, August 24, 2013

OVER RUN WITH ANT MOUNDS


After one of the many rains we have had all summer my husband found 17 fire ant mounds in the front yard. He used all the ant killer we had on hand and was still needing some. I didn't really want to run to the store for just one thing so I searched on-line to see if there was a recipe for Fire Ant Killer. Well there was and I just happened to have the ingredients on hand. It is really very simple, it is equal parts Borax and white sugar.


Yes, I had Borax because of a recipe for something else I had seen.


I used 2 cups of Borax and 2 cups of sugar. Mix it together with a spoon. 


If the Borax is clumpy break the clumps up with the spoon. After the box is open it will be clumpy.

I then put it all in a quart jar with a lid and labeled it. You just sprinkle some on the top of the ant hill. Apparently they think sugar is good and can't tell the difference between that and Borax when mixed together.  

So we tried it out and  it works. If it rains you have to start again but if there is 24 hours after application till the rain you have a good shot at killing the ants. 

No comments:

Post a Comment