Monday, August 26, 2013

Organic Milk On Sale

I make my own yogurt - which will be a later post. Sometimes my grocery  store has milk on sale and I buy 2 to 4 gallons. That is a lot of milk. It takes 5 cups to make one batch of yogurt so I freeze it in plastic containers 5 cups at a time.




But I make other things too, some need 1 cup of milk and some 1/2 cup of milk and one needs 3 Tablespoons of milk. In the past I have tried freezing milk in zip lock bags but they are hard to get the milk out of and some of the fat sticks to the bag. I liked the containers because I pop it out before it starts to melt and it comes out pretty clean.


But I was starting to have way too many small containers of 1 cup and 1/2 cup and didn't have any Tablespoons so I thought of my ice cub trays.


Each cube is 2 Tablespoons. So that means:
1 1/2 cubes = 3 Tablespoons 
8 cubes = 1/2 cup
16 cubes = 1 cup  
This gives me a much more manageable system for saving milk to use in smaller quantities.


I cover the cubes with wrap and stack them on each other and freeze.
After they are frozen I pop them out and put them in a plastic bag and label and date it. (Very important if you are cube freezing other things. You'd be surprised how similar things look!!)


I use the ice cub trays to freeze broth, tomato sauce, plain yogurt for starter, and milk to be used in small quantities in recipes.

No comments:

Post a Comment